ALLGAEUER KAESSPAETZLE (BAVARIAN CHEESE NOODLES)
- 500g flour, finely sieved
- 4 eggs
- Approx. 250 ml water
- 250g Allgaeuer Emmentaler cheese
- 5 onions, sliced into rings
- Knob of butter
- Make a dough by mixing together the flour, eggs, a pinch of salt and the water. Beat until air pockets form. Leave to stand for half an hour so that the flour can expand.
- While the batter is resting, fry the onion rings in the butter.
- Spread the dough onto a wooden board and scrape off small slices into the boiling water to form the spätzle. Or, to make life easier, you could use what Germans call a Spatznhobel, or 'noodle slicer'.
- As soon as the spätzle rise to the surface, lift them out with a slotted spoon and drain. In a pre-warmed dish, place alternate layers of spaetzle and grated Allgaeuer Emmentaler cheese. Finish with a layer of spaetzle and top with the fried onions.